Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Target Practice



Get out your darts. You're gonna need them.

I HATE FLUORESCENT LIGHT BULBS!! (throw darts or other projectiles now)

I know! I know! Going fluorescent is such an easy change to make. They save money and energy. "If every American family substituted 5 compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) for incandescent, it would be equivalent to taking 8 million cars off the road for a year." (quoted from Aimee Lee Ball's article in the Feb. 2008 edition of the Oprah Magazine). But I cannot tell a lie. I hate them.

No matter which fluorescent "color" I choose, their light seems unnatural and makes my eyes hurt. They make my rooms look like cold waiting rooms rather than warm, welcoming places. They give my husband a headache and don't fit in many of my vintage lamps. They take several minutes to "warm up" and because of their mercury content must be disposed of in a special way (which my recycle center does not offer*).

To ease my Guilty Green Conscience, I have put them in our porch lights and in the basement. I even put one in the bathroom for non-blinding, middle-of-the-night bathroom use, but my living room and bedroom lamps remain incandescent.

Oops! Gotta run! I can hear the Greeny lynch mob coming to tie me (with their fair-trade, hemp ropes) to the tree I hugged this morning.
*Green Note: IKEA has started a CFL return program for proper recycling if you happen to be in an area with an IKEA

2 comments:

Hillary said...

The Canadian Rose complains of their color as well. I've replaced a few in our ceiling light fans and don't notice a big difference, but I don't have them all by themselves except on the front porch, where they have lasted years even with many of The CR's all nighters. (How's that for a run on.)

Bree said...

I keep trying to like them. I really do. They are like oatmeal (as you know oatmeal is something I've been giving a lot of thought lately)--I want to like them, but I don't.
Are we the only ones who read our blog? That is a bit like doing skits for each other. At least we know we'll always get applause.